Monday, November 14, 2016

Week 15

This week hasn't had any huge or crazy things happening, so this weekly update is more of kinda funny random stuff from my week.

First, the coconut cleanse was a terrible terrible idea. The locals all said not to, they were right. Just eating coconut alone makes you sick. It doesn't sit well. It took not even a full day to realize they were totally right. We did make coconut rice though! It was really really good. A bit of a process to milk a coconut but so worth it. Also this week I was able to get may bagia sandwiches which I love. The bread costs 5.5 Met hot from the bakery, and I buy 2 Met bagias (usually 5 or 6), and then get a 500ml water at 15 Met. Super cheap lunch in terms of dollars. We also made lemon bars this week which was a nice taste of home, except we sprinkled just regular sugar instead of powdered sugar which just isn't quite the same.

I haven't gotten any mail in like 6 weeks which is a bit sad. I know there is stuff on the way (shout out to anyone who has sent stuff). The office checked this week and for all 100+ missionaries there were 2 letters :(  But I have hope and excitement for when stuff does finally make it!

This week I hit my 2 month mark in Mozambique, and as a nice `throwback` I get to do a division with Elder Brown this coming week. It will be like the MTC all over again-- But with lots of black people. I was able to go on a division with Elder Mayeya this week, he is an interesting character. We had some fun though, I think our investigators were a bit confused given his and my lack of good Portuguese.

Random Facts of the week:

1. Kids say I have cat eyes... I´ll take it as a complement because most of the kids like cats.
2. People here *hissssss* like snakes to get peoples attention... Its very interesting, and quite creepy at night. For anyone who plays Minecraft they do sound like Creepers.

Last of all, an update on an investigator. David and Ana are having some issues, so right now I´m playing relationship therapist in Portuguese... Here´s the issue though... marriage/marry and the word for hunting are virtually identical, only off by an accent... So that can make for some really incorrect sentences, hahahaha, ooops. It seems like things are on the mend though! Also, we have lots of excitement for Sidónia and her baptism on the 26th, and we have 8-10 people who should get baptized on the 17th of December.

Some questions that were sent:

What do you eat and how much does it cost?

I eat lots of rice and chicken. We have enough money, and the chicken at the grocery store is safe, but pricey at 200ish Met per pack of 4 breasts. I also eat lots of apples. In the area I eat biscotas, little cookie thingies like crackers (15 Met for 100g), coconuts (10-12 Met for big  ones), water (15 Met for 500ml, 35 Met for 1.5 L), drinks (12 for Frozy up to 50 for Dragon) and fruits (10 Met for 3 bananas). My favorite is bread (5.5 Met for a hot french loaf) and bagias (little fried something, not sure) which are 2 Met each, I get 5-6. Peanut butter is like 400 Met for 750g.

Are you still all taking turns cooking?

We plan to cook in companionship this next week, not as a house.

What do you cook when it is your turn?

I often do meaty spaghetti, or crock potted chicken sandwiches-BBQ or sweet and sour.

How is the coconut cleanse going?

 We stopped, you cant eat just the meat, it makes you sick. So we just are eatting healthy and made coconut rice! We milked a coconut!

What else do you have to spend money on and what does it cost?

Chappas (spelled more like xapa) to get around, we eat out once or twice a week. Hygiene stuff, internet to talk with you guys (80 Met for 2 hours), drinks, and other random stuff.

Is their currency equal to 76 to $1 us dollar? (This is what is looks like when we google it.)

Yah, I round to 80 in my head to make it easier though. We have a ton of money compared to the people though. Its the only way to get safe food. The chicken especially--main source of meat for us.

In my High Priest Group meeting today someone shared his missionary experience of attending a Chinese persons funeral. The family hired professional mourners. Have you seen a funeral there? What is it like?

Haven't seen any yet.  Lots of wedding/documents parties. Pretty much cliche Africa with lots of singing, drums, dancing and they all get totally and completely wasted.

Is there something we could do to help a family there for Christmas? If yes, what would be the best way to help?

Not that I can think of. We´re discouraged from doing that. Maybe little toys or treats I could give to some of my investigators kids, but definitely nothing big. That is often taken offensively. The kids like little ´docés´though.--Candy.


Thanks for all the support and emails!

Elder Howell

Lots of children play with old tires.


We play soccer with the little children.

This is the nice local trash eater.

Banana Tree

The best ripe mango EVER!

Members teaching us how to make coconut rice.

Grating the coconut meat.

 Yes, we milked a coconut.

Delicious Coconut Rice.

Some recent converts we meet enjoy having us take photos.

People here love getting their photo taken.

The AIDS-HIV Pamphlets they hand out at church.

My multi weekly bagia sandwich.

My uber sketchy shower....

No comments:

Post a Comment