Monday, November 28, 2016

Week 17: Baptism of Sidonnia

Well the major point of the week has to be the baptism of Sidónnia. She showed up on time... The other girl getting baptized showed up 30 minutes later and we started an hour late (Something very strange to get used to). It all went smoothly after that and I got a bagia sandwich so everyone was happy.

While on the topic of food this week:
Thanksgiving! Yayyyyyyy.... Oh wait, no one celebrates that here... So Elder Brown and I just went to a Pastalaria and got feijoada and chicken... It was like 300 Met for everything, but it was the worst food I have had yet. We both almost lost it when we realized what the `meat`was in the feijoada. So that wasn't fun at all. But Elder Burchett and I did return to a shack near some investigators that sells fresh made fries so that was good.

The high point of the week was probably getting 2 packages on Thursday though. I love getting mail! Some how I had 0 letters (no sure how wink wink everyone) but I did have lots of yummy snacks and little wrapped Christmas gifts that I´m doing my best to not open. Elders Brown and Burchett got packages too so we all just shared and binged a bit on good old American junk food for Thanksgiving.

We had our English Class this Saturday and it went quite well. We didn't have too many people show up due to weather, but we have very high hopes for attendance the next few weeks! Its very fun to have all of them say `Good morning Teacher` at the start. I also brought some Skittles to give to those who could answer random questions. Lots of people here like to `try` and talk to us in English. There is one fast test, simply ask `how many toes do you have on your left foot`. If they can answer that, they probably can speak decent English.

The giving of Skittles in the English class lead to everyone wanting them, so I made a trade. I `put away my childish things and became a man` this week by trading Skittles for a bag of killer mangoes with a kid in the ward... 1 Cor 13:11 Look at me Mom! I´m growing up so fast :D!

Random Facts of the week:
1. We haven't had water for 3 days now :) Some guys broke the pipe while setting up a tent for a drinking fest, I mean party.
2. Some people here are very poor, but a TV and huge speaker are a must in any tin roofed home. Our neighbors speaker literally shakes our house.
3. During the closing prayer of a lesson someones phone starts ringing. The investigator praying says `Please cast that devil out from among us` and the phone just stops ringing.... They thought that was a really crazy moment, Elder Burchett and I thought it was a really funny moment.
4. One positive name I get called is `Elder Wow` because Howell is super hard to say.
5.The church had no power for church or family night because they didn't buy credit, so after sacrament we just sat outside.

Family updates: Belito/Laura and family were at church as always, they´re still trying to get documents done as they can, but they´re pricey. We can't give them money, but we have been looking for a relador (coconut grater) and he´s a wood worker, so he is making a nice one for us that he will get paid well for. Works out really well for everyone! Hopes for meeting with David/Ana this week.

Thanks for all the love and support,

Elder Howell

The kids.

 Sidonnia's baptism

Elder Mayeya, Elder Brown, a girl, Sidonnia, Elder Burchett and Elder Howell.

More kids. 

Tons of these crazy flying attacking beetles.


These cool kids ask for photos everyday. I did give them candy :)

`Thanksgiving` meal... like 300 Met.... Almost threw up. The feijoada had hairy meat in it... We are 95% sure we got the little butt end of it.

This is just one of our daily meals Elder Mayeya cooked.

This ice cream is good... But the lactase doesn't work here #FoodRegret.

Fun praying mantis in front of an albino... I see like one of them a day... Didn't think of that before I got here, but there are lots of them.

Yes, yes that is a black magic witch hut. I don't think I was in her spells splash radius though.

English Class went well. We think 50 people next week.

Designated tag holder.

Thanks for all the love and support,

Elder Howell


No comments:

Post a Comment