Monday, January 9, 2017

Week 23: Deadliest Catch

I have decided that people only read my emails for one real reason---The hope that something insane, painful or just overall crazy happened. Its like the title says ´Deadliest Catch´ . No one watches that show because they like watching a bunk of bearded guys pulling rusty crab nets up with X amount in them. You watch that show in hopes that a boat sinks, someone dies or get mamed. This week we did have storms! Blood! Stitches! Sickness! But no crabs... But yah know, some weeks the crab nets are just empty.

Getting right into the more boring side of the week first, they mixed up our daily schedule a bit. We get up at 6:30 still, get ready, eat, workout until 8:00. Do personal study until 9:00. Then this is where it changes, we plan the day for 30 minutes then go out for 3 hours. What. We get back, eat. Do studies and leave again. Its kind of nice because it cuts out a few of the really hot hours during the day, but it will be weird to adjust to.

Now back to the Deadliest Catch analogy! Elder Bennion (the new guy in the house getting trained by Elder Martins--From Portugual, super funny once he opens up), well neither of them have keys to our main gate. So, he jumped it (over the flat, none spiked part) and sliced the back of his hand open on the knuckle. He walked to cut through the back to find the home owner. He started getting upset at Elder Bennion for ´Getting blood all over this nice concrete´. Thats when they realized how much it was bleeding. I bandaged him up while the AP´s came to take him to the hospital.  Don't worry, he is fine with 6 really ugly stitches holding him together.

I was the one who checked the ´Sick Box` this week. Yup, I took my first sick day. I wont go into the details, but suffice it to say I was unable to leave the house all of Saturday after about 10:00(am). If the 110 degrees and endless miles of walking didn't make me lose some weight earlier in the week I sure made up for it Saturday and Sunday when I literally ate one piece of toast. I made it to church Sunday but that was all. Once again, don't worry, I too am mostly better. Well enough to do internet and get shopping done. Big shout out to those who have babied me as I have been sick during my life at home (Thanks Mom!) or up at school (Thanks Hannah!), because being sick really is not fun at all. Ugh.

On the random Africa moments side of things:

1. We were contacting and found a house of 3 witch doctors... We aren't supposed to contact them or teach them if they aren't references, but stuff happens right? Anyway, we didn't know that until after we promised to visit them, so that will be fun this coming week...
2. A kid from the ward --Inacio was showing us less active/part member families out in the middle of no where. Well beyond anywhere I had ever been. We ended up finding a couple--who had been baptized several years ago, went inactive a year or two ago. Not uncommon. Here comes the crazy part. They have 14 kids. Yah, 14 children. The oldest in their late twenties, youngest is 1.5 years old.... 12 people live in their tiny 2.5 room house. Super awesome family. I will update as we visit them more.

Thats about it. We didn't have any deaths this week which is good. As far our ´crab count goals´ for next week, 1 caught and kept (Sebastiao´s baptism this week).

Love all of you, love hearing from you!

Elder Howell

No photos this week. It was too rainy and I was too sick the other days to go out. I´ll try to get a bunch this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment